Re: [ARSCLIST] voice recorders with speech-to-text software

I absolutely agree with your analysis regarding the use of speech to text systems for archival recordings done in the field.  The best thing to do in my view is to use a typist to transcribe them although most people don't read these days -- and also to use and audio editor to immediately edit down each interview to reasonable highlights that most folks will want to hear.  Then transcribing those highlights probably will be more useful most of the time.  I find in my own audio recording that when I record a great storyteller, all of the story is valuable  -- and about one in five stories are great in my view.

Best Regards,
David Hoffman
www.thehoffmancollection.com