Re: [ARSCLIST] Recording rights

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
>I'm looking for information on who presently- 2004- controls the rights to
recordings on various record labels.
>The RIAA web page lists a few by each of the big 5.  Otherwise, I've been
able to hunt down a batch one-at-a-time.
>At the moment, I'm trying to find out who owns Liberty Music Shop<snip>
This could be a complicated situation. LMS was, of course, mainly a record
store, and
issued a number (about 250 or so) of discs under its own name. Most of these
were
custom recordings...made by ARC and later CBS, or Decca (there may have been
others...
there is an extensive list in RR) for LMS as the client. Presumably, the
eventual
owners of the firm (or do they still exist as a retail operation?) owned the
rights
to the recordings...however, the metal parts may still be in the possession
of
the company who made the recording for them.

However, some sides on LMS were North American issues of overseas, usually
UK,
recordings...I believe all of these would be p.d., since they would be
governed
by the copyright terms of the country where they were originally made.

As far as what happened to Liberty Music Shop(s)...I looked on the web, but
couldn't find any current references (I did find a reference from somewhere
in the nineteen-sixties, which presumably referred to the same firm...)