Re: [ARSCLIST] supplier of gold CDs

Hi all,

I too am under the impression that the Mitsui-MAM name change is little
more than a name change, and that their production policies will continue
on as before.

MAM/Mitsui CD-R people are pretty good on the phone, actually.  I called to
ask some questions a while back and I got the impression that they
completely understand this aspect of their market--i.e. people interested
in media integrity and data longevity.  If you're really concerned, I'd
just call the number on the back of the disc and ask them what's up.

Our policy here is to create two "master" data discs, one on Mitsui/MAM
gold 74 min, one on Taiyo Yuden 74 min. golds.  I prefer to buy them in the
jewel cases rather than on spindle, but TY has apparently stopped making
gold 74s in jewel cases.  For access we create an "use" data disc using
Mitsui/MAM silvers.

We've had good luck with the following folks:

USA Video Service of America
800-888-2140
www.videoserviceofamerica.com
They at least were selling MAM gold 74s in Jewel for $1.00, the 74m Archive
golds in jewel for 1.17 and the 74 m silvers in jewel for .75.

Also Wenzel Data
888-292-3396
http:www.wenzeldata.com
has been pretty good too, especially for spindled TY 74min golds (around
.79 a disk, with fairly inexpensive standard jewel cases.)

As always, I/we have no affiliation with either of these resellers.  I'm
just a satisfied customer.

andy
Andy Kolovos
Archivist/Folklorist