From: "Kurt Nauck" <nauck@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Spoke Pattern

>As to 78 rpm: regular spokes I have only seen on lacquer recordings,
whereas
>a similar phenomenon is not unknown even on acoustic recordings. The
surface
>then looks like moiré silk, and it is actually a constant number of
vertical
>vibrations per second not tied precisely to the rpm, so the spokes are
>"crooked". This was usually a cause for discarding a take, so they are
>uncommon.

I suppose another possibility might be a burr in a gear or some other
deficiency in the recording mechanism that would result in a frequency that
becomes visible in the recording.

Occasionally the music itself might have a rhythm or repeated phrase that
results in a radial pattern of some sort (especially in audio test
records), but this looks different from the spoking mentioned above.

Kurt & Diane Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
22004 Sherrod Ln.
Spring, TX  77389