Re: [ARSCLIST] oscilloscope

Hello, Curtis,

While I own five Tektronix oscilloscopes, I need to ask what you're going to use
it for?

Other than a lissajous (sp?) pattern for azimuth alignment of
two-or-more-channel playback, I rarely use an oscilloscope.

What I use the most are the built-in meters and an Magnetic Reference Lab test
tape(s).

I also use software "scopes" for looking at phase. Before I got a 2GHz computer,
I really liked the Tek 465M for that purpose as it doesn't have a fan, but most
of these are pretty beat up.

Any Tek lab scope that has an XY input is good for azimuth setting, but, with
white/pink noise you can do about as well with your ears as you can with tones
on the scope. Invariably there is some cyclic variation in the azimuth and you
need to "peak" it with the scope.

If you're not going to run it all the time while mixing, the 465 is a good
scope.

I have a 453 that is dead-on after all these years
Two 465Ms
a 466 storage scope
a 485 lab scope.

All are good.

There is an interesting site aiming at the older Tek scopes
http://www.reprise.com/host/scopes/default.asp

These are all getting old. The newer 2200 series are good, but I only had one
and returned it as it was not in good shape as advertised.

Cheers,

Richard
--

Richard L. Hess