Re: [ARSCLIST] Inner sleeves

At 09:40 AM 6/16/2004 -0400, phirsch wrote:
please respond to the
originator of the query below and not me

Responding to the list and the originator

Colleagues,

We have a collection of approximately 10,000 LPs. Roughly 15-20% of these
records are discs which are covered within plastic wrapping (as opposed to
paper or some other material). Years ago, I was advised that if plastic
were left on the outside of the jacket, the jacket (and eventually, the LP)
might warp over time. Can the same be said for the LP if the plastic is
left covering the LP? In other words, would we be better off placing the
discs in paper (or some other material) envelopes rather than leaving them
in plastic? Many thanks.

Scott D. Atwell, Ph.D.

Big Rapids, MI 49307-2279 Email: atwells@xxxxxxxxxx

I believe I understand the query; if so, you are writing of two different sorts of 'plastic' and two different issues.

Commercial LPs were often sold in a tight, transparent wrapper; it was
intended primarily to inhibit shoplifting (e.g., by making visible
inserting a second disc into the cardboard) and secondarily to prevent
damage to the cover. That cellophane-like material wraps so tightly that it
could over time and with normal heat/humidity cycles warp the disc. I have
known it to happen to discs laid flat for some months with no weight on
top, but have had many unsealed LPs stored for years in a normal, vertical
row and seen no effect.

I  believe you are writing about soft, flexible plastic sleeves which
loosely fit the disc itself; those are often used to separate the disc from
the cardboard sleeve and to reduce dust on the LP. Such a sleeve exerts no
pressure on the disc and cannot be responsible for warping. As far as I
have heard, the only associated risk is with an inferior plasticizer which
can coat the groove over time. I experienced that only with a few EMI LP
sets of the 1950s. It is recognizable as a graying of the surface - by
which time the disc is useless.

Please note; I am not a professional in this field and I hope that those
who are will be inspired to correct any errors above.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/