From: Richard L. Hess [mailto:arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 June 2004 21:18
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] storage media

Hello, Donna,

My preliminary investigations indicate that cardboard boxes are serving us
well
and should not be changed. If they are highly acidic, they should be
replaced.

If you have acetate tapes, I believe the cardboard allows enough breathing
and
also acts as a buffer (like a molecular sieve in a film can) that absorbs
the
outgassing acetic acid.

I haven't fully proven this, but it is a logical hypothesis.

So, unless the boxes are really yellow and brittle, I wouldn't change them.

You might finr some useful information on my "tips" page at
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/tips.htm

If you have any questions as you undertake your digitizing project, feel
free to
ask me.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book.
www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.