From: "Robert Hodge" <rjhodge@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] storage media

Hello,

I know that this is off topic , but I just wanted to make the difference
know to those who might not be aware of it.

Safety Film of that vintage is cellulose diacetate as opposed to  celulose
acetate and ( for all of it that I'v handled as a projectionist for 2 film
festivals for several years ) suffers from none of  the decompository
effects such as vinegar syndrome that acetate film does - It does shrink
somewhat , occational  warpage ,  but never to the extent to being
unprojectable .
Some folks misinterpret the strong odor it gives off as being decomposition
, but is just the normal odor of camphor , or as I smell it sometimes,
mothballs .  I have unearthed some vintage cans with blotters in them that
contained camphor, used to keep the film pliable.  Also moth balls  in 35 mm
acetate film cans to do the same thing - and it does work. I'v never turned
up 35 mm film stored in this manner with Vinegar Syndrome  ( VS ), but then
most projection booths have low humidity to begin with , and that is where
the film would have been stored  for long periods of time anyway.
High humidity seems to  trigger the onset of VS . Molecular Sieves kept in
the can will absorb the Acetic Acid , slowing the destruction. Unfortunately
it cannott be stopped .

But then it seems to indicate that  the proper storage for acetate  tape is
a low humidity environment, and the use of sieves to absorb the Acetic Acid
given off would be applicable as well.

Other Thoughts ?

Bob Hodge

In a message dated 6/9/04 3:33:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Donnas@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Speaking of storage media, can anyone tell me whether reel-to-reel should
be
> put in special storage cases?  Most of our tapes are currently in the
boxes
> the tape comes in.

My opinion is that nitrate or acetate materials should not be stored in
containers that let them stew in their own juices.  Cardboard boxes that
allow gas
diffusion seem to be the best.

I have Kodak Safety Film rolls from the mid 1920s that still run through a
projector just fine, that are still in their original cardboard return
boxes.
However a friend of mine just went to great expense salvaging his home
movies
from a highly deteriorated state from having been sealed in metal cans for
half
as long.

I also have samples of nitrate based sheet film (oscillograph recordings)
which were inserted into laboratory notebooks in the early 1930s which show
absolutely no deterioration.

I would use sturdy, acid free cardboard in a temperature-humidity controlled
environment to preserve these materials for another 50-75 years.

Mike Csontos