Re: [ARSCLIST] piano rolls

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Al Gerheim wrote:

> Just curious, is there any interest in converting piano
> rolls and/or welte-mignon (SP?) vorsetzer (SP?) recordings
> to midi format?  Sounds like an interesting project, but
> I don't know if there's enough interest to support it.

Yes, in fact quite a bit of work has been done. On a related note...there
is now a machine which will translate the wide German Welte rolls to the
US format. One of the first rolls done was a Carreno performance which
will be featured on our next issue...all Carreno.

I should add that our work is done on a restored instrument and not via
any midi file.

And, while I am on the subject, we are looking for copies of the rolls
prepared, not performed, for the Welte. These include compositions by Toch
(we have that roll), Hindemith, Lopatnikoff, et al. If anyone out there
knows of a location for some of these, please do let me know.

Thanks.

Karl