Re: [ARSCLIST] Analog Masters

At 03:16 PM 5/11/2004 -0400, Steven C. Barr wrote:

The problem is that it will only be "intuitively obvious" as long as there
are
people around who remember that there were once magnetic tape recorders, as
well as some of the details about how they worked.

May I suggest that we are beating this topic beyond submission (if not to death).

Non-audio records exist and undoubtedly will exist for the indefinite
future. Patent disclosures, magazines, midrofilms, books and other media
document the technology of which we write. Whatever form of Armageddon one
postulates (after which retrieval of the golden oldies of 1972 is still of
interest), the dedicated archivist will find materials with which to build
a record player, a CD-DA device and so on. (DVD-Audio is another story
given the variety of formats it can contain.)

My opinion is that if the CD-DA has survived physically, it may be the
easiest from which to retrieve quality audio. Its text content and subcodes
may be lost, but playback requires relatively little information. At least,
the proper playback speed is unarguable (try that with a "78") and the data
format is hardly obscure.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/