Re: [ARSCLIST] Analog Masters

At 09:53 PM 5/7/2004 -0400, you wrote:
In a message dated 5/7/2004 11:05:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, lwatsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
It would seem to me, that the creation of analogue recordings are still, at least while we can still obtain blank mag stock, a very safe conservative approach in case anything was to happen to the server or the files.

I am very excited that you posted this question, and wait with anticipation for the results.

*****************

If magnetic media are still being used, I would be very interested in knowing exactly what brands and type numbers are selected and why they may be considered to have the longevity of the formulations of the '60s and not the instability of the materials used in the '70s.

I have one client for whom I'm making 7.5 in/s full-track mono copies of 3.75 in/s 2-track (both sides) oral histories. We're doing this on 7-inch reels figuring that these _might_ be easier to play than 10.5 inch reels with NAB hubs "somewhere ages and ages hence."

I am recording the original tape to two CD-Rs, a cassette, and the reel. We are breaking everything into the half-hour increments dictated by the reels. The cassette copies are C-90s, so that they are not the limiting factor. I could actually get better C90 tapes than C60 from my usual sources at that time.

I'm using Maxell XLIIS (now discontinued) C90s.

I am using Emtec 911 of which I hope I have enough with the supply situation such as it is. It is a spectacularly flat and well-slit tape. In fact, I can't recall seeing a tape as well-slit as the Emtec 911.

However, the sale from BASF to Emtec was not smooth and the bankruptcy is troubling. While the curtain isn't down according to my Emtec supplier, it's getting close. The factory is closed, but it has to be closed for 2-4 weeks to avoid having to keep on all the people under German law (as I was told). We'll see what happens in June.

The Quantegy product line has been streamlined and several products appear to be useful for archiving, although I don't have any experience with any of these tapes. GP9 has a distortion specification substantially lower than any of their other tapes. The low-print 478 and 480 tapes might be a very good choice for archiving oral histories. If you're on a budget, then 632 appears to be more than merely adequate.

My first choice for many reasons was the Emtec 911. I guess I just didn't buy enough <sigh>.

Cheers,

Richard