[ARSCLIST] Audio archiving supplies & cleaning machines

Rolando Delgado Miranda --

Dear Sir --

I'm contacting you both on and off the ARCLIST to tell you I have had
personal experience with the Loricraft cleaning machine, which works quite
satisfactorily.

On the other hand, if your institution can afford the Kieth Monks cleaning
system, by all means acquire one.   It is the Gold standard.

Mr. Graham Newton on the list is a both a passionate advocate of the Monks,
and a dealer.  But at less than $2,000, the Loricraft machine desrves
consideration.  It is distributed by Smart Devices company.  They supply detailed
information at their website:
<A HREF="http://www.smartdev.com/smartht.html";>SMART Audiophile and Home
Theatre Products</A>
http://www.smartdev.com/smartht.html

In my dealings with them, they were cordial, informative, and shipped
promptly upon receipt of my payment.

Naturally, though they supply some cleaning fluids appropriate for use with
vinyl LP and 78s, acetate recordings will require other appropriate chemicals.
Please feel free to contact me or others on the list for information about
appropriate cleaning fluids.

I have been doing cleaning and transfers of a large collection of acetate
Electrical Transcriptions for a non-profit institution.  Their research led them
to conclude that using ammonium carbonate (about one tablespoon added to one
gallon of distilled water) dissolves some of the byproduct of aging that
collects on the surface of aged acetate discs without harming the disc material.
Additionally, to get further cleaning, Photographic "Photo Flo 200 solution"
distributed widely by Kodak through photographic retailers offers a mild
surfactant.

Because in the Loricraft machine the applied chemicals are sprayed directly
onto the disc surface prior to vacuuming, its easy to switch between any number
of cleaning fluids appropriate to a given disc surface.

Sincerely,

Dave Radlauer
www.JAZZHOT.Bigstep.com