Re: [ARSCLIST] acetate tape

Hi,

I've seen some tape, I think it's 3M (Scotch) from late in the time of
acetate-base, that's pretty dark, reddish brown.

Richard

At 09:19 AM 5/3/2004 -0500, you wrote:
Hello folks,

Currently I'm surveying the condition of a collection of reel tapes that are
almost entirely backed with cellulose acetate.  Usually it's obvious, because
the acetate tapes practically glow when held up to the light.  But
occasionally
I'm finding a tape that is just barely translucent - if I move my finger
behind
the tape pack, I can see a shadow, but I have to look hard.

Is there another formulation for acetate tape that isn't nearly as
translucent?
Because the others are so obvious, I would have marked this kind down as
polyester or PVC, except that one of them seemed to have a slight vinegar
odor.

Thanks,

Rick Taylor
Graduate Student