Re: [ARSCLIST] Power line frequency and phonograph record speed...

>>> gn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 4/27/2004 7:42:17 PM >>>
<snip>Here's where some knowledge of the power system in various parts
of the
USA and Canada would be useful.

Does any one have accurate knowledge of areas of the country that WERE
NOT
operating at 60 Hz power line frequency?

It is known that parts of the city of Toronto operated on 25 Hz until
around
1954 when it was changed to conform to the 60 Hz standard.

Hello Graham,
I was interested in this topic a few years back and found an article
from the mid-1920's that discussed methods of keeping the grid in-phase
across great distances. The 60Hz freq. was quite exact even at that
early date and my recollection was that major cities in the industrial
northeast US and Great Lakes area were all tied in.

Outside of the big cities, it was lotsa luck. My mother says that out
on the farm in rural New York State they didn't get power until 1940.
I'll see if I can find the article, it seems like it was in the AT&T
Technical Journal.

David J. Diehl
Library Director
Texas State Technical College