Re: [ARSCLIST] Tascam portable multitrack cassette recorders

Without disagreeing with anything else said below, I'd like to point out that some other manufacturers who have produced machines that will happily (and correctly) play back double-speed four-track cassettes are Yamaha, Marantz, Vestax, and Fostex (although built-in support for the various tape-types and NR varies widely). I don't mean to suggest that this format is or ever was a good choice for original recording or archiving when other options are available, just that the format is not solely Tascam-proprietary. It's certainly strongly associated with Tascam, because they seem to be and have been the most popular machines.

This, however, is essentially a Tascam-specific format and is not something I would want to archive to. Nor is it really something I would want to record to--although four-channel field recordings are much more expensive if you step up from the 414/424.

On the other hand, if you're giving it to a kid to learn a bit about recording, it's probably fine.

I think Steve S. and I are in violent agreement once again -- his succinct reply captured my initial response as well.

Cheers,

Richard