Re: [ARSCLIST] What type of file are music CD's saved as

At 10:06 AM 4/22/2004 -0400, Steven C. Barr wrote:

Then is it the bits (pits and lands) on the CD surface that represent the
ones and zeros after being processed by an algorithm so that sequences of
either can be compressed? Thus, reprocessing the ones and zeroes with the
same algorithm creates the .wav file?
(decimal:)                           (0)       (63)     (255)    (252)
Thus, if the waveform in digital is 00000000 00111111 11111111 11111100...
the actual bits on the CD surface represent the lengths of those strings
of ones and strings of zeroes rather than the bits that compose the
digitized
waveform themselves...right?
Steven C. Barr

Sorry, Steven. It's much more complicated than that.

The error rate on a CD is very much higher than that on a hard drive or any
other common digital device. As a result, there is a complex relationship
between a group of bits on the disc and the bits representing the current
value. There is a page in the primer at my WWW site - one *not* written by
me, I assure you - on the actual coding used.
  http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/bits.htm

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/