Re: [ARSCLIST] Rumble when playing cylinders

A related question...
I have often noticed that when cylinders are played on Edison machines or
other acoustic
cylinder players, they have a rapid vibrato (or tremolo...whichever is a
change in level
rather than frequency) which makes them sound like they are being played
under water.
What causes this...and is it caused by the record or the machine? I assume
that they
didn't sound like this when they (cylinders and phonographs) were new, or
else they
wouldn't have sold very well...am I right?