Re: [ARSCLIST] Examining styli for wear.

Greetings RA

I have two different instruments I use for that purpose. One is a hand held loupe, with three lenses which can be stacked. The other is a hand held microscope, which also has a reticle that allows you to measure objects. Regarding when you need to replace, the wear on a bad stylus is visible and generally unmistakable. It should look smooth and (of course) be still rigidly mounted to the tracking pin.

You can find good loupes and microscopes at Edmund Scientific (www.edmundoptics.com). Try the F30-225 for $59 (x50 mag) if you like.

All the best

Alex