[ARSCLIST] audio cassettes

     I’m new to the list and I’m quite sure I’m revealing my
ignorance, but what’s the current status of audio cassettes?
Are they still the preferred format for anything (esp. oral
history)?  How does the immediate and long(how long?)term
future look for tape cassettes and recorders? How long can a
cassette tape be reliably stored? Years ago I taped a lot of
Bill Monroe live shows; I had real doubts about longevity
even at that time.
     Any recommended sources of info would be appreciated.
                                       -Don McCatty
                                        ao1286@xxxxxxxxx