Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Cleaning question

At 11:41 PM 1/25/2004 -0800, Joel Ackerman wrote:
A friend asked what I knew about a machine for cleaning LPs called the
Nitty Gritty. Said to be a combination of fluid cleaner with vaccum.  I
knew nothing about it. He has a collection of rock and folk LPs.

Comments based on use would be appreciated, together with alternative
suggestions if you don't feel this is a good choice.

I've used a Nitty Gritty for several years with good results. It uses a fluid which is vacuumed up. The machine and their fluid are both somewhat expensive; economical substitutes for the fluid can be found, but little is needed per disc, so the research is hard to justify.

I find it a convenient and practical choice for moderately soiled discs. It
won't deal with cemented-in muck and is unnecessary for dust on a
well-stored disc, but for those in between it's a good choice.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/