Re: [ARSCLIST] Archive the hard drive, was CDR media longevity

I don't think archiving files on hard drives is a viable preservation
strategy without an alternate media backup such as tape or CDR.

I may have mentioned this before in this forum, but the UCSB Library stores
its digital content on disc arrays from Wideband Systems that run RAID 5.
We currently have 9TB of digital data in the Alexandria Digital Library,
mostly geospatial data and air photos, but soon audio with our cylinder
digitization project. Even with RAID 5, we have had a simultaneous failure
of multiple hard drives, which required restoring the drives from tape
backup. We have 40TB of tape backup and we also backup to the San Diego
Supercomputer Center. Imagine what happens when the hard drive fails (and
they will) and you don't have an alternate backup. It's gone.

David Seubert
UCSB