Re: [ARSCLIST] guess-timate

Ironically, I just called two local vendors yesterday to get this same
type of pricing quote.

One vendor quoted $80 per hour for the transfer, $80 per hour studio
time to clean the audio signal and make a CD quality file and $45 to
create the master CD. The second vendor charges $100 per hour for the
transfer, $185 per hour studio time to clean the audio signal and make a
CD quality file, and $100 to create the CD master.

The tapes I am interested in tranferring are poorly recorded oral
history interviews with a good deal of hiss.

I sent the tapes to one of the vendors so they can give me a sample of
what I can expect in the new improved version. It is up to my client to
decide if the project goes forward, but I also think that seeing if they
would be willing to invest time into creating a sample for you is worth
it. It would really be disappointing, not to mention a waste of money,
if you just sent it and there wasn't much difference.

Holly Dzyban wrote:

Wondering if anyone out there could give me a general idea of how much
it would cost to have some sound preservation work done. I am NOT
seeking a contractor. Just a general idea as to what I can expect.

1. How much would it cost to digitize one 60-minute speech tape at CD
quality?

2. If I had 60 minutes of digital speech with background noise, such
as tape hiss and feedback, how much would it cost to have the speech
amplified and the noise decreased?

If anyone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. I
just need something to pass on to my supervisors as far as expectations.

Thanks,

Holly

<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/hotjobs/mail_footer_email/evt=21482/*http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus>

--
Miriam Meislik
Associate Archivist

http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html
http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh/index.html

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
--Steven Wright

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter
--Harold Feinstein, November 11, 2001

Photography does not create eternity. . . it embalms time,
rescuing it simply from its proper corruption.
--André Bazin (1918–1958)