[ARSCLIST] FW: [AMIA-L] Wanted: Deteriorating magnetic tape samples

This message has been forwarded from the AMIA list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association of Moving Image Archivists [mailto:AMIA-L@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Douglas Nishimura
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 10:08 AM
To: AMIA-L@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AMIA-L] Wanted: Deteriorating magnetic tape samples

We are currently engaged in a research project funded by the National
Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) to look into deteriorating polyester
base magnetic tape. If anyone has examples of deteriorating tape that
they can part with, we would appreciate them along with a brief note
describing, in detail, what the observed deterioration is. In
particular, we are interested in examples of sticky-shed syndrome and
"squealing" tape. Even if you can only part with a few inches or
centimeters, we would appreciate them. Samples should probably be sent
to Jean-Louis Bigourdan, who is heading-up this project. Our address by
regular mail is

IPI/RIT
70 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY  14623-5604
USA

Shippment by any other means (Airborne, Fed-ex, UPS, etc.) should go
through shipping and receiving

IPI/RIT
335 John Street
Rochester, NY  14623-5670
USA

We hope that this research will benefit the field, but with research you
can never predict if you'll discover something or not. However, we
appreciate the support.

Thank you.

-Doug
Douglas W. Nishimura