[ARSCLIST] 74 vs 80 minute CDRs

I'd like to get opinions from people on the list on 74 vs. 80 minute CDRs.
We are finding it increasingly difficult to find 74 minute CDs. Last time I
needed CDRs I found that Taiyo-Yuden now only makes 80 minute discs and in
fact very few companies make 74 minute CDRs. We burn on two brands, Mitsui
and a second brand. The latest batch we bought were Verbatim, which we are
discovering have very high error rates on our setup when burned above 12x
(though they are fine below 12x).

I've always avoided 80 minute discs because my understanding is that Red
Book CDs are 74 minutes long and 80 minute CDs are not Red Book standard.
Is this correct? Is there another standard for 80 minute CDs, or is the
design of 80 minute discs subject to the whims of the manufacturer? Is
there actually any evidence of greater incompatibility with 80 minute
discs? I don't want to switch to 80 min, but it looks like the market may
be heading that way.

David

David Seubert, Curator
Performing Arts Collection