Re: [ARSCLIST] environment controls

As Jerry says, the manufacturers do not release specific information about
the chemical composition and additives in their tapes.  Besides the fact
that these components can change frequently, the specific components in each
formulation are the result of expensive R&D which they, understandably, have
no interest in supplying to their competitors.

I don't know of anyone currently doing studies on low-RH effects on tape
components.  On the other hand, the general categories of components that
are known are not substances that should be expected to suffer negative
effects at low-RH.  Of somewhat more concern has been the effect of
low-temperatures since there have been (undocumented) reports from
manufacturers of lubricant crystallization and/or loss near or below
freezing.  ScreenSound, Australia has been doing some preliminary testing on
this possible effect but, so far, has not come up with anything conclusive.
One of the problems, here, is that not all lubricants may be affected.  In
addition, where anecdotal evidence of this phenomena has been reported in
the past, it was also reported that warming the tape back up to room
temperature appeared to cause the crystallized lubricant to be re-absorbed
into the binder.  This could be seen to imply that, so long as you don't
scrape the crystals off at low temperatures, there would actually be little
or no loss of the lubricant.

As I stated before, the temperature and RH guidelines in the various
standards (AES, ANSI and ISO) are based both on what is known about chemical
decay factors and some purely physical handling factors.  The minimum RH
recommendation in these standards is based on tape shrinkage and pack
slippage, not known chemical decay factors.

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(201) 440-6589
www.specsbros.com

Celebrating 20 Years of Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service