Re: [ARSCLIST] Where to find NTSC Color Bar and sound tones

When I worked for a video company in the '60's, we had a variation on
the NTSC phrase: "Never Twice the Same Color" since, unlike many
European systems, we have knobs on our equipment that allow us to make
the video picture look any way we want.  Unfortunately, there is no
"standard" way for most people to set up their picture monitors unless
they use professional vector scopes with a system generated (as in a
professional video  facility) color bars test signal.  I've seen some
pretty strange results when people use their naked eyes at home.

Also, the video house's accompanying audio test tone is generally at
1000 Hz (cycles) which is used to set a zero level on a VU meter or
digital level indicator on the recorder for the maximum record input
level, so that one does not put too high a sound level through the
machine which would result in distortion (over modulation).  Generally,
the meter will have a red area above the zero level that represents that
aural boundary, and one tries to avoid "peaking" past the zero "into the
red".

I hope this adds a little more insight to the subject.

Rod
Family Theater Productions

Alex Hartov wrote:

On Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003, at 15:24 US/Eastern, Tony Greiner/Mary