Re: [ARSCLIST] seeking advice

At 03:08 PM 10/11/2003 -0400, sam stephenson wrote:

We have a modest budget for software to help clean up the sound.  It's
been recommended that we buy WaveLab to do this, but I'm not sure we need
something that sophisticated in the short run.  None of us are engineers
or technicians and we won't be doing any real restoration work until all
content is identified.  Hearing spoken words more clearly would be very
helpful.  We need something that is user-friendly and relatively
affordable and that does not require a steep learning curve.  I'd like
your thoughts and opinions for which software programs you might recommend
for this purpose.  Is a Mac any better or easier to use for digital audio
work than a PC?

From your description, I suspect that you are not dealing with noisy tapes so much as with material that needs equalization to make spoken voices clearer against a modest background noise. If you have off-mike material to deal with, more significant tools would be desired, but as it stands I'd recommend using a tool such as Adobe Audition (formerly CoolEdit Pro). Its many presets will get you in the right neighborhood for equalization and for dynamic compression if needed.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/