Re: [ARSCLIST] Optical Groove Digitization

On 25/09/03, stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> However, I wonder if much of this dissatisfaction is due to the fact
> that the comparison of digital to analog reproduction is very often,
> while not quite an "apple to oranges" situation, is still a "delicious
> apple to granny smith apple" comparison. Most of the time, the
> comparison is between an original recording and a processed digital
> reissue of that some recording...the latter has likely been well
> worked over by engineers who take orders from record-company
> management who want a "saleable product" as judged by their ears (in
> other words, one similar to a current recording). This, of course,
> sounds incorrect to the ears of those familiar with the original...as
> well it probably should!

This could be a problem, but probably not too much in the classical
music field. Even there, it is easy to over-do noise reduction.

There are clearly audible differences between older and more recent
transfers from analogue tapes - as there are between different transfers
from 78s.

> The only way to establish whether an actual difference exists would be
> to take a given signal, pass it through electronic equipment which is
> set to minimize any distortion it might create, and then convert it
> to a digital signal and NOT process that signal. This way, one could
> compare the original analog signal as it was received by the a/d
> converter, and then the converted output (both, of course, at an
> identical level). It would be interesting, in fact, to make an
> a/b comparison without specifying which signal was which. In
> theory, there shouldn't be any difference that our ears can hear
> and brain can identify...including any that the brain imagined
> it should hear.

I have a good 16 bit sound card which was originally sold for the
broadcast studio market. When I make a straight transfer to CD from tape
or vinyl, I am not hearing any obvious difference. (But then my hearing
is ageing - but then again, I have more experience in analysing sound
quality than most listeners.)

Bear in mind that any differences heard may be due as much to the D->A
conversion as to the A->D conversion. As with 78s, there is a lot more
music on a CD than most people have heard yet.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx