[ARSCLIST] Wet records (sound recordings)

It is common knowledge among experienced record collectors and sound archivists that immersing 78s and LPs in water and/or exposing them to intense levels of humidity for a moderately extended period (days rather than weeks) will cause them to develop problems that compromise their ability to play back as quietly as before this exposure occurred.

I'm trying to find a written reference to this effect.  It would be even better to find a study which examines this issue.

I'm sending this inquiry to number of lists.  I need information to be found in papers, journals, books, thesis, etc.  Anecdotal evidence or "stupid record tests" don't count, so leaving a record in a hurricane and taping the before and after won't do it.

Do you know of any such references?

Steven Smolian