Re: [ARSCLIST] Adobe Audition

Andy Kolovos wrote:

> As a Cool Edit 2000 user I'm apparently eligible for a $99
> upgrade to Adobe
> Audition now that Adobe bought Syntrillium's properties.  Anyone out there
> had an opportunity to play with Audition?

I've been a Cool Edit Pro user from versions 1.2 through the last version,
2.1. Audition 1.0 is that CEP2.1 with no modifications except for branding.

CEP2.1 is the editor/processor I choose to use for most of my work. Without
going into features (you can find those on the web) I'd have to say it's one
of the best inexpensive editing systems I've seen. For a 99 buck upgrade,
you can't go wrong, even if you end up later using something else. The
spectral displays (spectrum vs. time) are outstanding for microsurgical
procedures -- that is, as long as you have a fast enough processor for using
the extreme-precision displays (non-extreme displays are fine with slower
computers, and they're quite useful for finding elusive clicks and pops).

There was a beta 2 version of a burning plug-in which (for me) had some very
attractive features -- in particular, being able to generate countdown
displays between CD tracks. This plug-in is currently unavailable for
Audition, and no information is forthcoming as yet about its fate. It isn't
clear that the CEP beta plug-in will work with Audition; at least I haven't
figured out how to do it. So far, that's my only disappointment with
Audition.

You'll get a lot for just 99 bucks. My advice: go for it!

Aaron Z