Re: [ARSCLIST] Pitching and Equalization of 78s/Resampling questions.

I see your point and thanks for the clarification Mike.

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 02:01 PM, Mike Richter wrote:

At 11:43 AM 8/28/2003 -0400, Aaron Luis Levinson wrote:

Another question which this thread raises is the question of
re-sampling.
Perhaps I am using the term incorrectly, but every time I have ever
re-sampled
something it was to obtain a different timbral quality.

That is an altogether different sort of sampling. The sampling here is to obtain a digital signal at a chosen sampling rate. The correct unit for sample rate is sps (samples per second) or ksps (thousand samples per second). It is sometimes written incorrectly as Hz for Hertz, the unit which in ancient days was cycles per second. To resample means to take a signal which was sampled at one rate and to modify it as though it had been sampled at another. For example, in creating a WAV file from an analogue source, one might sample at 96 ksps, but to create a CD-DA (Compact Disc - Digital Audio) it must be written at 44.1 ksps. Hence the 96000 sps file must be resampled to 44100 sps.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/

Sincerely,

Aaron