Re: [ARSCLIST] RECORD CLEANING FLUID

Hi Don,

Try ACS Reagent grade 1-propanol, aka normal propyl alcohol, as a
replacement.  This is less harsh to rubbers & plastics.  Do not use lower
grade materials as the impurities, though, can be too aggressive.

Regards,

Duane Goldman

At 09:24 AM 8/27/2003 +0000, you wrote:
On 26/08/03, Graham Newton wrote:
> Don Cox wrote in response to  James A. Harrod:
>
>> Why not get some Isopropanol and some distilled water and make your
>> own?
>
> No, NO!, a thousand times NO!
>
> NEVER use Isopropanol for cleaning records... YOU WILL DO DAMAGE!
> It may not be immediately obvious, but you will.
>
> Ethyl alcohol (the drinking kind) has been used on vinyl discs in the
> past but contrary to others, it is not recommended for that either.
>
> FYI, alcohol dissolves the shellac surface used in many 78 rpm
> phonograph discs and essentially destroys them.

Well, I have always used just distilled water with the smallest possible
amount of detergent, but Isopropanol was mentioned as being part of the
original recipe.

I do use Isopropanol for cleaning tape heads and gunged up styluses.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx