Re: [ARSCLIST] speed policies [3]

At 11:37 AM 8/22/2003 -0400, Steven Smolian wrote:
I'm afraid this issue is more serious that Mike suggests.

Classical 78 sets and some doulble-sided pop selections have link-up
problems at the side joins when pitches differ.  Tapes made on Ampex 300 and
350 transports which used large reels were different speeds as the weight
shifted from one side to the other.  I've been jarred by splices made from
different takes recorded at different ends of the reel and spliced together.

I hear very clearly differences in vocal timbre when the speed is wrong. The
percentage difference seems to vary from voice to voice, spoken or sung.

Students of historical records should be given access to materials as
accurate as we can make them if they are to draw accurate conclusions from
what they hear.  It's a duty we owe the original performers.

I acknowledge that I simplified. Another factor of interest is that speed correction should take place *before* digitizing. Failing that, sampling should be at a substantially higher rate than is to be used in the final product so that faults in resampling are minimized. The hardware resamplers I know are not of high quality; software solutions can be relatively good but are very slow.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/