Re: [ARSCLIST] speed policies [3]

Dear All,
    Here in Britain the frequency of tuning A was standardised at 440Hz at a
temperature of 20 Celsius in 1939, but before that it had been A=435 "at 60
degrees Farenheit". This was because tuning of wind instruments varies with
temperature, and 60F was typical of pre-war concert-hall temperatures in
chilly Britain! The wind instrument least affected is the oboe, since all
the player's air is involved in making the tuning "A", which will be near
normal human blood temperature. So that's why an orchestra uses an oboe for
tuning.
    I could write extensively on this subject, but will add four
complicating factors I have found.
(1) Historical artefacts over the centuries have proved that classical
musical pitch has gradually risen, as musicians search for extra "brilliance
of tone".
(2) In the 1950s and 1960s this caused several continental orchestras to use
A=444.
(3) In "the heat of the moment", Decca recording engineers (who had to edit
together tapes made at different times of day) found A=444 sometimes rose as
far as A=452.5. Also, wind instruments go sharper as temperature rises, but
pianos go flatter.
(4) Brass bands have often used a different pitch standard. The
complications in the days of acoustic recording (when vocalists had brass
accompaniments, and the recording-room would be kept warm so the wax would
cut cleanly), can be imagined.
    I should like to hear from anyone who can tell me such details in the
USA, from which country the vast majority of recordings came to Britain
before the second world war.
    Personally, I can't see anything wrong in altering the speed of an old
recording; but when an analog recording is being digitised, I consider it
vital to note the thought-processes which have been considered, so others
know what has happened (and what hasn't).
Peter Copeland