From: Joel Ackerman jrsackerman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:32:42 -0700
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Scanning LP covers

I am an attorney; copyrights is one of my fields.  I won't comment on
specifics such as Joel's project because (a) I don't want to give legal
advice and (b) in any case I don't know what his project is.

Since around 1976, all original materials including artwork and liner notes
is automatically copyrighted on creation.  Prior to 1976 materials generally
(but not always) had to have a copyright notice attached in order to be
considered copyrighted. Many album covers and liner notes had such notices.

Nevertheless, there are certain provisions of the copyright laws that allow
copying without being  liable for royalties.  These are called "fair use"
provisions and their scope can be complicated. See an attorney.

Joel Ackerman