[ARSCLIST] Advice on sound engineers

Dear Arsclist,

I am an amateur recreational sound collector from Montreal and recently, my aunt asked me to transfer her wonderful collection of bird songs from cassette (recorded with sony stereo recorder) to HD to make CDs. It does need quite a bit of editing so I decided to put it in the hands of a professional which comes to my question: Some of the sound engineers I have met do not have any academic credentials. Is this common? The client is very cautious but offering a very reasonable payment fot the job. Can someone recommend a few experienced sound engineers from Montreal? Thank-you Leslie