Re: [ARSCLIST] Bolero by Ravel the definitive version?

At 07:10 PM 8/6/2003 -0400, you wrote:
I was wondering whether anyone on this list might be able to steer
in the direction of any performance of this work that is considered
the benchmark upon which other are judged? I am a neophyte
in the "classical" world and any help would be appreciated.

There is a recording which is sometimes listed as being conducted by Ravel with the Lamoureux. Unfortunately, the attribution is spurious.

To my knowledge, there is no one performance which can be considered
definitive of this or any other substantial work. For example, one might
consider Stravinsky's recordings of his own music "definitive" except that
the 'definition' changes as his interpretation varies in different
recordings of the same work.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/