[ARSCLIST] Referral to ARSC

Please see the e-mail inquiry posted below in the body of this e-mail that came to me at my government e-mail address.  It is meant for ARSC and the ARSC Listserv.  The Excel spreadsheet inventory of 78s that came with the e-mail would not transmit to the Listserv, so please contact the sender for that inventory if you are interested.  This inquiry could also be posted on 78-L if someone would do that also since I am not subscribed to 78-L.

Thanks

Les Waffen
Special Media Archives Services Division

"Dear Mr. Waffen:

The music librarian at the University of Oregon, Leslie Bennet, suggested I contact you.

I looked over the ARSC webpage and I do understand that your organization does not buy and sell recordings, but I thought you might have some insight to share with me--about a collection of 78's for which I am presently acting as "curator."

My reason for thinking that these 78's are not just your run-of-the-mill old records, is not so much because they're rare (I'm told that only a couple are moderately interesting in terms of rarity), but because so many of them are in such good condition.  It occured to me that you might know someone who's work might benefit from their good condition.

These recordings were in the collection of Lawrence Maves, who was violin professor at the U of O music school for 40 years, and conductor of the local symphony.  A Juilliard graduate, he was the Eugene area's musician extraordinaire for several decades.  He passed away in April, and is sorely missed.  I became the de facto curator of  memorabilia and among his possessions were thousands of LP's, probably 1500 CD's, and these 150 or so 78's, some of which date from early in the century.  He took very good care of them.  Many look to be in mint condition.

The LP's and CD's have been donated to universities.  I'm torn about what to do with the 78's.  I'm told that their value as collectibles is rather meager, and as recordings,  per se,  many of the performances have now been remastered and are available on CD.  But I can't help but think that their good condition might make them valuable in some way.  On the other hand, I'd like to keep them for sentimental reasons.  But then it seems like a most fitting memorial to Larry if they were to be put to some good use that Larry would have thought worthwhile.

Anyway, that's my situation.

I've attached a spreadsheet detailing what's in the collection, along with descriptions of their condition.  As you can tell from the list, Larry was really into opera and violin performance.  One of the most curious is one by Henry Ford's orchestra.  Henry Ford?  Anyway, it has been a learning experience for me, seeing all these old recordings.

Another item that probably is of no interest to anyone but me, but I'll mention it anyway--several LP's that are recordings of Larry Maves himself, from the 40's and 50's--when he was a student in university and at Juilliard.  Intriguing to hear the early Maves.  It also makes me think about all the tapes of recitals  and string quartet concerts he gave over the 40 years, and symphony concerts that he conducted--they exist somewhere--I might have a few (not sure yet--so much stuff to go through)  and it makes me wonder, what, if anything, will ever be done with them.  And it all is a testimonial to the excellent work that is being done--has been done--by many local people out here in the hinterlands.

I'll stop here, and await any thoughts and reactions you might have.

Oh yes.  I also have about 100 Edison cylinders but the background and condition of those is different.

Inventory attached.

thanks in advance for your attention.

Warren Chism
Violin Maker