Re: [ARSCLIST] Paramount, was Re: [ARSCLIST] Correspondence with Lawrence Lessig

----- Original Message -----
From: "Parker Dinkins" <parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I don't think Paramount sold out to Gennett. Part of the confusion may be
> that Paramount had some manufacturing problems and Gennett did some work
for
> Paramount.
I think I saw the reference to Gennett acquiring the remains of Paramount
(although they may have only acquired then-current blues recordings) in a
standard discographic reference, possibly Brian Rust's "American Label
Book."
Certainly, Steiner did acquire the rights to the label name, along with such
masters as he could find (I believe most of the "metal parts" had fallen
victim to WWII salvage drives) c. 1948, and issued the 14000 series (mostly
dubbed from existing records). The issuing company was actually the New York
Recording Laboratories, which was under the same ownership as Wisonsin Chair
Company (the original firm).