Re: [ARSCLIST] Correspondence with Lawrence Lessig

Steve,

    I think you're correct about the "work for hire" status of most 78
recordings. Some big stars (as in the Naxos/Capitol case) must have had
royalty agreements, but each contract would have to be seen to know how
long it applies, what stipulations there were, etc. In Europe, where the
78 era is almost completely PD, I can't imagine that any contracts still
hold.
   What do you know about particular artists who established ownership
of dead companies or at least their own performances? I'm very curious.
Thanks.

James