Re: [ARSCLIST] Advice on restoring a 1954 audiotape

Will:

The tissue wipe should only be done AFTER the mold has been driven into
dormancy or you may simply smear the mold over the surface of the tape.
Sufficient "baking" time could drive the mold into dormancy by removing
residual moisture from the tape and mold but, baking at 40C, will not kill a
lot of molds.  Also, if the mold is severe or has seriously compromised the
tape edges, baking can harden the residue, making it harder to remove and,
potentially, "welding" tape edges together between wraps.

Baking could work but it could also cause additional problems.  We have done
extensive testing and mold removal and have found that the process or
driving the mold into dormancy using low humidity chambers is the most
effective and safest method.

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(201) 440-6589
www.specsbros.com

Celebrating 20 Years of Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service