Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation Philosophy and Management

Is microfilm supposed to replace the original or serve as an access medium?  If it is not intended to replace the original (meaning that institutions must assume responsibility for retention of same, meaning a lot more than putting things into warehouses), what is the problem?  I still do not understand what you are going to do when the pages with all the layouts and colors break when you handle them.
- Walter

On 22/07/03, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> I have to disagree with outright refusal to accept (Walter Cybulski)
> that there is a problem. Just the illustrations placed between pages
> 210 and 211 give more answers to certain questions than any microfilm
> yet made. Here we see the colours of the 1898, 1901, 1905, 1907, and
> 1912 newspaper copies and we see global layout - this cannot be
> provided by black-and-white microforms. There are no stable colour
> microforms, only B/W.

The Ilford/Ciba colour microfilm seems to be still available, and is
said to have a life of several hundred years in the dark.

I know you can leave Ilford/Ciba colour prints in sunlight for years on
end with no sign of fading.

(This doesn't alter the desirability of preserving the original if
possible.)

Regards
--
Don Cox