[ARSCLIST] Advice on restoring a 1954 audiotape

I'm new to this list, so perhaps I should introduce myself briefly.  I direct the New Media department at a private university in Guatemala city.  We produce educational video and audio programs that we stream via the Internet or distribute on DVDs or CDs.  So I have many practical questions about storage formats and conditions, but today I have one specific problem on my mind.

The President of the University brought me an audiotape recorded in 1954, to see if we can rescue its contents (apparently a home recording of an important radio program).  We don't know anything about the length of the program or the recording spped.  It's a "600 ft red oxide on plastic type 651" reel. The tape and the plastic reel are both covered with hundreds of fuzzy mold dots.  I've taken some pictures:
General view: www.newmedia.ufm.edu.gt/gpasch/audiotape/general.jpg
Detail front: www.newmedia.ufm.edu.gt/gpasch/audiotape/detail.jpg
Detail back: www.newmedia.ufm.edu.gt/gpasch/audiotape/detail2.jpg

I have found some reel-to-reel equipment that we could use to read the tape, however, how do we get rid of the mold?  I've heard two suggestions: one, fearlessly wipe the mold clean while fast forwarding the tape, using a soft cloth, then read it.  And two, mail the tape to Vidipax in NY, where it should receive the best treatment.  Any suggestions on how I should proceed?  I will really appreciate any help you all can give me!!

Saludos cordiales,
-Grete

--
Grete Pasch - www.newmedia.ufm.edu.gt
Uni.Fco.Marroquín, Guatemala - (502) 3387875