Re: [ARSCLIST] Correspondence with Lawrence Lessig

At 09:22 PM 7/20/2003 -0400, Frank Forman wrote:
So does anyone know of an article that lays out the basics of copyrights
in old sound recordings?

I cannot provide a link with a straightforward treatment - I doubt that it would be copyright law if there were such an easy solution. Neither do I have references outside of the U.S. code. However, I've found the following to be of value:

http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/ - Library of Congress

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/ - Stanford U. on Fair Use doctrine

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm - When works pass into the Public
Domain (U. of North Carolina)

Incidentally, the last entry at the last URL is "Life + 70 years or
12-31-2047 whichever is greater". Frankly, that sounds to me more like a
term of incarceration than a term of protection.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/