Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation Philosophy and Management

There isn't a lot of consistency on saving newspapers in libraries.
Each state has a designated newspaper repository, funded by the feds.
Usually, but not always, it is one of the state universities.  The
newspaper repository has the responsibility of microfilming every
copy of every newspaper made in the state. Of course, this goal is
not ever 100% attained, but they do pretty darn well.

At that point, usually the newspapers are thrown out.  Other
libraries in the state then can purchase copies of the microfilm from
the repository.  A few libraries still retain bound copies of their
local papers- but it is unusual now.  This is a shame, because
although microfilm is wonderfully portable, reading without an index
is a head-ache inducer.  And there is the risk of blurred images, the
ends of pages not being filmed, etc.

Most major papers are not available in a partial format digitally.
By partial I mean no photos, ads, or syndicated columns.  So a lot
disappears, although what remains is easily searchable.

I wonder if something like a "sound and video" repository for each
state could be set up, that would have the responsibility of saving a
copy of various things- local news broadcasts, etc.  I don't think it
would be any bigger a project that the newspaper one.

Tony Greiner