Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation/dissemination of info

   I agree very much with Don here. Archives setting up digital
repositories now are faced with not only the difficulty of storing large
sound files (a side of an LP at 96/24 takes up around a gig) but with
the amount of time it takes to move these files over internal networks.
Archives may be tempted to set lower standards so that they can
demonstrate operability now, but this can be a slippery slope. Better to
wait for the inevitable further drop in storage prices and equally
inevitable increase in network speeds and plan for that. Because I also
think it's inevitable that much better analysis and restoration will be
possible from high-resolution files in the future. The demand for
digital restoration has seen and will continue to see to that.

James

Now that hard drives are getting bigger, sound archives on line should
be more practical. You can buy a drive to store 100 hours of
uncompressed CD quality sound in any computer shop for the price of a
pair of trainers. In another couple of years, that will be 100 hours
of
24/96 quality.

The reason to keep the quality as high as possible is that nobody
knows
what subtle methods of analysis will be developed in the future.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx