Re: [ARSCLIST] Constant Tension Machines

Oh, one other thing, Richard.

I'm sure that tape pack and holdback tensions do create minor speed
variations across the heads for the length of a reel, but none that can
induce a pitch change as great as I experienced when the Scully was
running from head to tail with a musical drop of a half-step in pitch.
I know that _was_ consistant, since I had opening and closing show
music cues that I could check that exhibited the same pitch change.

Rod Stephens

Richard L. Hess wrote:

Rod,

I'm sure you know, but I'd like to point out that in constant torque (as
opposed to constant tension) machines, this speed variation was variable
throughout the tape pack.

Classic Ampex machines were mostly constant torque. There was a constant
tension option for certain versions of the AG-440.

Cheers,

Richard