[ARSCLIST] MLS in relation to an archivist

After lurking for about six months, this is my first post to the Arsclist.
Obviously since this is a mailing list for archivists, this question I have
is completely appropriate for many of you to answer.

I wanted to know what role a Master's Degree in Library Science plays in
finding employment as an archivist.  What I am looking for is an archivist
position at a college or university.  I have the basic audio engineering
skills one would find desirable in a candidate for an archivist position but
no library skills.  Would pursuing a MLS degree be worth my time or is there
a better way to acquire these skills to become an archivist?

At this time I have no desire to become strictly a librarian, although it is
possible that if/when I complete a MLS degree that my opinion might change.
Any comments would be welcome and appreciated.

Michael Farrington

Michael Farrington
Recording Engineer
Eastman School of Music