Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R question--was: CD Burners

At 10:42 PM 3/19/2003 -0500, stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
 > the last media I have which recorded well at that speed passed
> their shelf life and were tossed due to excessive errors. (The batches of
> media I buy now are small enough so that I am not usually concerned with
> shelf life.)
Now, if they have a shelf life as blanks, do they have a similar
life span after recording? If so, will recorded CD-R's gradually
become unplayable?

That is the implication of the few data we have. The quoted values are of the order of 10 years for shelf life and 100-200 years of recorded life. My experience suggests that shelf life longer than 2 years depends on your tolerance for errors. There are also strong indications that the 1000 erase cycles quoted for life of erasable media is a vast overstatement.

You are free to believe the 100-year and 200-year quotations if you wish.
Unless they are very far off from reality, I do not expect to be around
when there are unequivocal data.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/