Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright and hard drives

One way of looking at this issue is determining what is commonly available
and what equipment ordinary technicians can fix.  A survey of at least one
local pawn shop tells me that it's only CD players that meet this test.

So at least one copy should be on CD.  I actually suggest two, one TY, one
Mitsui.  From a large batch, store numbers 1,3,5,7,9, etc. of the TYs off
site and 2,4,6,8,10, etc. on Mitsui.  The others are service copies.
Assuming good storage conditions, those of one brand will probably show
signs of trouble before the other.  When one brand starts to go bad,
reintegrate the collection and copy those on the other brand to the future
medium de jour.  This is an early warning system.

Unless you use a brand of a true CD blank manufacturer, you will never know
who really made the media sold by second-level marketers, such as 3M, etc.,
who buy ain bulk from the least expensive source and put their own labels on
them.

Steve Smolian

Steven Smolian    301-694-5134
Smolian Sound Studios